Pope Francis Appoints 21 New Cardinals
Vatican City, Rome Italy – In a momentous public consistory held on the 30th September, Pope Francis has created 21 new cardinals, ushering them into the esteemed ranks of the Catholic Church. These distinguished individuals, hailing from various countries, have been chosen for their unwavering dedication and exemplary service to the Church.
The following is a list of the newly appointed cardinals and their respective countries:
1. Archbishop Robert Francis PREVOST, O.S.A., Prefect of the Dicastery for Bishops (USA).
2. Archbishop Claudio GUGEROTTI, Prefect of the Dicastery for Eastern Churches (Italy).
3. Archbishop Víctor Manuel FERNÁNDEZ, Prefect of the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith (Argentina).
4. Archbishop Emil Paul TSCHERRIG, Apostolic Nunzio (Switzerland).
5. Archbishop Christophe Louis Yves Georges PIERRE, Apostolic Nunzio (France).
6. Archbishop Pierbattista PIZZABALLA, Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem (Italy).
7. Archbishop Stephen BRISLIN, Archbishop of Cape Town (South Africa).
8. Archbishop Ángel Sixto ROSSI, S.J., Archbishop of Córdoba (Spain).
9. Archbishop Luis José RUEDA APARICIO, Archbishop of Bogotá (Colombia).
10. Archbishop Grzegorz RYŚ, Archbishop of Łódź (Poland).
11. Archbishop Stephen Ameyu Martin MULLA, Archbishop of Juba (South Sudan).
12. Archbishop José COBO CANO, Archbishop of Madrid (Spain).
13. Archbishop Protase RUGAMBWA, Coadjutor Archbishop of Tabora.
14. Bishop Sebastian FRANCIS, Bishop of Penang (Malaysia).
15. Bishop Stephen CHOW SAU-YAN, S.J., Bishop of Hong Kong (China).
16. Bishop François-Xavier BUSTILLO, O.F.M. Conv., Bishop of Ajaccio (France).
17. Bishop Américo Manuel ALVES AGUIAR, Auxiliary Bishop of Lisbon (Portugal).
18. Reverend Ángel FERNÁNDEZ ARTIME, S.D.B., Rector Major of the Salesians (Spain).
In addition to these deserving cardinals, three individuals have been recognized for their exceptional service to the Church and have been added to the College of Cardinals:
19. Archbishop Agostino MARCHETTO, Apostolic Nuncio (Italy).
20. Archbishop Diego Rafael PADRÓN SÁNCHEZ, Archbishop Emeritus of Cumaná (Venezuela).
21. Father Luis Pascual DRI, O.F.M. Cap., Confessor of the Shrine of Our Lady of Pompei, Buenos Aires (Argentina).
The appointment of these new cardinals signifies a significant moment in the Church’s history, as they are entrusted with the responsibility of guiding and shepherding the faithful worldwide. Let us join in prayer and celebration as they embark on their sacred mission to uphold the teachings of the Catholic faith and spread love, compassion, and unity among believers.